If you’re in the neighborhood or live in Winchester, head over to First House Pub on Main Street. While you're there, be sure to grab a glass Oak Barrel's crowd favorite, Franco Serra - Gavi, a perfect pairing with fresh baked sea scallops or baked haddock sandwich.
Jim O'Rourke and Stephen Conley have put their heart and soul into this place and it shows. A long welcoming bar spans the length of the restaurant and is absolutely gorgeous. There is plenty of room to spread out and catch a game, have a drink or grab a bite to eat. A bar like that deserves to be stocked with many sought after local craft brews and, of course, a generous mix of Oak Barrel wines. You won’t be disappointed with the food or the portions as these guys hit the nail on the head with value and quality for your money. A pub wouldn’t be anything without its crew, bartenders and wait staff who are friendly, welcoming and eager to please. I have to say, there truly is something for everyone at First House Pub. My kids even put away a few pulled pork sliders and a cheese pizza to prove it. Go check it out, then let Jim and Stephen know what you think, because they truly want your feedback.
And while you’re there, get yourself a glass of wine from yours truly, Oak Barrel Imports. Enjoy.
OAK BARREL WINES ON HAND:
- Franco Serra, Gavi - Beautiful crisp light white with lemon oil citrus and minerals. A crowd favorite!
- Franco Serra, Barbera D’Alba - 6 Months in the barrel and Franco is ready to party. Medium body, red cherry fruit, earth & touch of cocoa.
- Powers, Viognier - Great balance of fruit that includes white peach, dried apricot, and melon with a touch of minerality. Beautiful mouthfeel, which finishes with a refreshing tingly of acidity.
- Powers, Cabernet Sauvignon - This wine finishes with great finesse, lingering fruit, and round tannins. All the hallmarks of classic Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon.
- La Marouette, Chardonnay - Crisp bright and elegant unoaked chardonnay with stone fruits of apple, peach and pear.
- La Marouette, Pinot Noir - A beautiful medium bodied red with rich notes of cherry and blackberries, and a light touch of earth and spice.
The First House Pub gets its name from the First House built in Winchester, circa 1640. Check out the pictures hanging around the restaurant obtained form the Winchester Historical Society.
First House Pub
528 Main St, Winchester, Massachusetts 01890
Phone: (781) 369-1381
Baked Haddock Sandwich with buttered bread crumbs, lemon butter, leaf lettuce and tarter sauce spread on fresh bulkie roll. Pair with: Franco Serra - Gavi.
Pulled pork sliders with leaf lettuce, tomatoes barbecue sauce and pickles. Pair with: Franco Serra - Barberra D'Alba.
Open Faced Tuna Melt served with lettuce, tomato, swiss cheese on rye bread. Pair with: La Marouette - Pinot Noir or La Marouette - Chardonnay.
Cape Cod Spring Mix Salad, dried cranberries, chopped bacon, crumbled bleu cheese, red onion, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes with raspberry vinaigrette. Pair with: Powers - Viognier.